Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Power of a Promise

As I rushed by you this morning, on my way to work, you called out to me. All you wanted was someone to listen. I informed you that I was running too far behind schedule to stop for even a moment. You looked upset at this fact, but I kept moving. I was already late, as it was. As I neared the street corner, I called back to you, and offered the promise of my return. I begged of you to understand how imperative it was that I hurry on my way, but I gave you my word that I'd come back to hear the words you longed to speak.

Seven and a half hours later, I passed you again. The promise I had made to you had completely slipped my mind until I saw your face. As I was walking by, engrossed in a meaningless phone conversation, you smiled at me, and we both remembered. I paused in my tracks and informed the person on the other line that I would have to call them back. I walked over to you. Your face lit up as you recognized me from earlier that day. You didn't think I'd have taken the time to come back. I did. I knew how much it would mean to you for me to hear the thoughts in your head.

We talked for over an hour about this and that. I know it made your day, and because of that, mine, too, was brightened. You had the most fascinating stories. You spoke so eagerly of your travels and experiences. I never felt as though I was forcing myself to stay. You made it so easy to listen. I am so honored to know that I was able to help you---even in such a menial way. All it took was sixty minutes of my time...time I would have spent doing nothing.Though you thanked me at the end of it all, it is I who should be grateful to you. You taught me that even the smallest of gestures is enough to generate a smile and memories that will last a life time....so thank you, dear stranger, for opening my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I really like they way you worded this. You pulled off being able to say so much in such a small length of words. Did this really happen? I find myself asking that after some of your posts, and that's a good thing, since it means it's almost way to interesting to happen on a regular basis.

    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did happen :) I am so lucky to have all of these wonderful life experiences! :) They're really simple to find too. It's just that most people don't take the time to slow down and look for them!

    ReplyDelete

Template by:
Free Blog Templates